Sunday, December 25, 2011

Emily Stirling


How did you get started with bodybuilding/figure?Well I started at a young age competing in competitive gymnastics. I did that until the age of 18, then met my now husband, Matt. He was a teen bodybuilding sensation with a “particular organization” and when I met him I was just starting to workout. It was perfect timing, my body had been out of gymnastics for a year, I met Matt, and started working out with a new competing goal… Fitness. From there I turned into training for figure, and in 2007 won my first official figure show, Paul Dillett’s 2007 WBFF World Championships. I won my class, and the overall, making me the first ever Pro status WBFF Figure competitor. Since that night, I have been 100% dedicated to fitness/bodybuilding.

It’s my life, and I’m proud of it!



Where does your motivation come from?Many places! Lol! I have a very competitive mind frame that I take after from my father, so naturally I am up for any challenge. My motivation comes from the years in gymnastics where I “could have been amazing” but considered myself “wasted talent.” Those thoughts stuck in my whole life, trying to prove to people (mostly myself) that I can do something, be good at it, and win! In gymnastics I was good and always expected to win overall, but I never did. That part truly took its course in my brain, and here I am almost 10 years later making up for all the years I had self doubt. I am also motivated by the girls who go out there and make a respectful name for themselves.

Not everything is given to people, you have to work for it, and the ones that work for it, and eventually end up top of the game, are the ones that I am motivated by.

What workout routine has worked best for you?I am a chameleon, a creature for change. I also change up my routines, however I never stick with the “just cardio” rule. Omg, I hate cardio to be honest, so I’d much rather pound out some weights and be on my way. Mostly I do am cardio, and do cardio intervals throughout my weight workout. Because I have very endomorphic/mesomorphic qualities, my body stores fat easily, gains muscle easily, so I need a good mix of lots of cardio, and lots of high repped-hard weighted exercises. Just recently (like today recently) I added in a few sessions per week with an MMA/Kickboxing/Fighting coach to help me with all of the conditioning aspects of my training and physique. I am a sucker for ever changing punishment!

WBFF Figure Pro: Emily Stirling – Leg Workout

If you have to pick only 3 exercises, what would they be and why?Ooooooh… Only 3?! I’m a trainer so I know and love so many. Ok, three… Well Railroads on the Leg Press (really I hate them, but a love hate), Parking lot walking lunges, and anything Hamstring related, like stiff leg deadlifts! I hate core! Absolutely hate training core!

You wouldn’t be able to tell, but truth be told, I really do hate training it!

What is your diet like?Competition dieting, well it’s very clean and very low complex and sugar carbs. When I try to cut down, I have to keep very low calories, high protein, mod good fats and low carbs. I time my carbs early in the morning, pre and post workout. That’s just my basis. When it comes to last 2 months prep, I carb cycle with only moderate and low carb days. Because I gain muscle easily, I can’t afford the extra calories, and my muscle is naturally full and round, so carbing up does me no justice!!

Offseason, I am usually still clean with eating, however I do enjoy a little more carbs, sugar and wine!

Emily Stirling – Integrated/Conditioning Workout

They say that the pre and post-workout meals are the most vital meals for the day, what do yours consist of?Post workout is definitely a shake with fruit (unless it’s the last 6wks of comp prep). Pre workout is supplements from my company Cellucor. I take NO Zero, and mix it with some M5 creatine. (No creatine past 6wk mark) Food wise pre workout will consist of something very light, protein and if any carbs it would be a sweet potato.

When trying to cut down do you prefer to use HIIT or just normal cardio?I absolutely use HIIT training. Truth be told, it’s a numbers game. So my theory is why waste your time doing low intensity burning less calories, compared to burning way more calories in the same time frame!

HIIT training it is for me! All the way!

What is your supplementation like?•The Staples: Protein, Udo’s Oil, Glutamine and Multi.
•Show prep: N0zero, Intravol, D4 Thermal Shock, T7, WS1, M5 Creatine, + The Staples!
Favorite Figure/Fitness Athlete?Timea and Monica. They were the first two that I idolized.
Favorite Quote?Behind every success is effort. Behind every effort is passion. Behind every passion is someone with the courage to try.

I have no idea who this is stated by. I received a card from a client after my Pro win at the 2009 WBFF Worlds, and in it had a little pull off card that had this saying. It has stuck with me since.

Links:Bodyspace: http://bodyspace.com/eMStirling_WBFF/

Website: www.teamstirling.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment