Monday, November 21, 2011

Sherry Jensen


I am a mother of four and a lifetime natural IFBB Pro fitness athlete, born in Victoria, BC. I lived in Richmond, BC up until 1982 and then I moved to Pender Harbour, BC (Sunshine Coast) This is where I was first introduced to aerobics classes. At the age of 15, I would attend a fitness class once a week at the local community hall which was put on by my very first mentor, Mokie Barabash-Burnham. I really looked up to her because she was fit, positive and a mother in great shape. She became very inspirational to me, so after graduating from Pender Harbour Secondary in 1986, I moved to the Lower Mainland and joined a local gym Fitness World, which is where I am now employed and sponsored. I continued to participate as a member while I completed my degree in Cosmetology. In 1994, just two years after I became a CIABC certified cosmetologist, I studied and practiced to become a BCRPA certified aerobics and weight training instructor. In 2004, I then added to my list of certifications by becoming a BCRPA Certified Personal Trainer for Steve Nash Fitness World. My most recent accomplishment is becoming a Dotfit coach.

I am currently in the process of writing a book about my entire life called "Start Today, Tomorrow Never Comes". This book is going to be dedicated to my children and the people who believed in me. However, don't hold your breath for the book to be released anytime soon, as I have had a very interesting life thus far and there is so much more to add to it. I can assure you that it will inspire and motivate anyone that reads it and that it will be worth the wait!

Before I continue I want to get my alias' out of the way. I started out as Sherry Mauch, then adopted as Sherry Stephens, married into Campbell, Boudreau and now and forever to stay as Sherry Ann Jensen. Again, it will all be in the book. Stay tuned.

Ok now that it's out of the way, I decided to start competing after my second child and after each category I experienced, my fitness friends would introduce me to another. I love the challenge and work involved in maintaining a healthy, fit and positive lifestyle.



It was in 2002, when I was inspired to compete by my friend, now IFBB Fitness Pro, Sandra Wickham. I joined Sandra's dance team, Lean Motion which was the opening entertainment for local bodybuilding and fitness shows. I really enjoyed the fitness aspect of it and the adrenaline rush that over came me at each performance so I decided to compete. I began my training by hiring trainer and Figure Diva, Lara Tamereski. I also became close to another fitness and figure competitor named Sandy Vu. Both Sandy and Lara were excellent motivaters who clearly knew their stuff , as it lead me to a WNBF Pro card in both fitness and figure. After gaining my Pro status and competing at the 2002 Ms Exercise World in New York City, I walked away with 1st place in both fitness and figure and I was hooked. This is what lead me to the meeting of a very popular WNBF Pro bodybuilder, Dave Goodin aka Texas Shredder. He invited me down to down to Austin, Texas to train and shadow him while he trained others. Dave Goodin and I have become great friends and he is now one of my biggest mentors in this industry. He has won many titles and is also the promoter of the INBF Texas Shredder Classic. Dave educated me well and when I returned back to Canada in


In July 2003, I was able to share my experience and knowledge with Fitness World members and staff and move up to the next level of my career, BCRPA certified personal trainer.


In 2005, after competing at the NPC Emerald Cup, I learned of another awesome trainer, Mike Davies. After seeing and admiring his very conditioned clients, I knew I had to contact him and see if he could take me on as well. Fortunately he was able to take me as a new client, and I had the opportunity of attending my first camp in March 2006 in Columbus, Ohio. I was to see what great shape his clients were in, not to mention how absolutely friendly everyone was. My butt kicked into gear and I am being taught how to "Train like a girl" as Mike would say, and to make healthy choices to attain a fit and balanced physique, on and off season.

No comments:

Post a Comment